Friday 2 January 2009

How is it January already??

Wow. What a hectic holiday season!
Christmas Eve went well.... Christmas Day was a smashing success! All those hours in the kitchen did their trick - my in-laws were SO impressed with the food (inside I felt like cheering!). I must have spent 9 hours cooking, and just laying out the tables to perfection.  (Yes, I said TABLES, in plural. We had 1 grownup table, and 1 Big Kid table, and 1 little kid table. All went well. No food was thrown to my knowledge, and it all got cleaned up. Eventually. :D  )
Now, here we are thrown into January. My youngest daughter is turning 6 next week (how did THAT happen!?!).
And we are smack dab in the middle of setting New Year's Resolutions. I personally like my youngest son's "revolutions".... He wants to learn to fly this year, and he wants to learn to swim "really well, like a big big boy".
My resolutions are not as lofty as his are. Mine are pretty simple, I think.
In 2009, I want to spend more time outside. I love being outside, but part of the downside of living in Canada is that you risk life and limb at times when you go outside in the winter. (Case in point? Today. Our high temperature today was -24 C, and with the wind it was a balmy -37C. Brrrrr.... You go outside too much and hello frostbite!)
In 2009, I want to relearn how to play the piano. I am so out of practice, and it shames me. My scales are all herky-jerky and my fingering is consistently incorrect. (Poor Mr Curtis would whack me on my knuckles in horror, I'm sure!) I also love being able to make something beautiful happen when I sit down to play.... not something that sounds like I belong in a grade 7 concert band! Yeeks!
Also, in 2009, I'd like to get my finger as close to normal as humanly possible. Yes, I understand that it will probably entail another surgery on my poor pinky. And I"ll be in for some MORE physio, and yes it will suck temporarily. But if I could use my pinky again! And to bend it properly! That would be tremendous!! (I was sort of "discharged" on December 29th. All I need to do is go see the Hand Surgeon, find out when he can slice me, and there I go.)

Those are my "revolutions".
Happy New Year!

No comments: