Thursday 12 July 2007

Details, details.....

I was thinking this morning while I was in the shower..... Maybe I should explain why I've chosen the name Thistlethoughts for my blog.
Well, to be honest, I couldn't really think of a whole heck of a lot (Man, Google puts you on the spot like that, don't they??). Plus, I wanted something that didn't refer to me - the mum. Or me, the wife. Or me, the housekeeper. Or me, the daughter. Or me, the sister.
Just plain old me.
Something that has meaning to me. Not to any of the "hats" that I wear on a daily basis.
So I thought of a thistle. A Scottish thistle to be precise. I feel like a thistle at times....
Hardy, resilient. Persistent. Sometimes unwanted. Sometimes celebrated. (I don't know when it would be celebrated, but go with me here....)
Also, I come from a truly Canadian family - my dad was 1/2 Scottish and 1/2 Irish descent. My mom is pretty much Polish and other assorted things (don't quite know exactly).
I grew up with the last name of Robertson. Scottish.
I am prickly, and difficult at times. Thistle.

That's why I went with Thistlethoughts. Also, if I ever got a tattoo, I'd get a Scottish Thistle.

I just didn't want to be stuck in this category of "Oh, she's married and a mum, so a parenting journal!". No way. This is more than just a parenting journal. Actually, I would be surprised if I said a lot about my kids. (Not because I don't love them - I do. Ditto for my hubby.)
This is for me. Me, the adult. Me, the person who is interested in music and books, and enjoys cooking.

That's who I am. A person. A woman.

No comments: